Senior Network Engineer
Company: Motorola Solutions
Posted on: May 24, 2020
Company OverviewAt Motorola Solutions, we create technologies
our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms
in communications, software, video and services help our customers
work safely and more efficiently. Whether it's helping firefighters
see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street
corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses
around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on
the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents
to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public
safety and security.
Department OverviewCompany Overview
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer
to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications,
software, video and services help our customers work safely and
more efficiently. Whether it's helping firefighters see through
smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or
reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the
world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to
keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola
Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and
The CallWorks and Vesta products are part of the Motorola Solutions
911 Call Handling offerings providing next generation 911 call
taking and dispatching solutions for public safety answering points
(PSAPs) across North America. The 911 Call Handling business has
been growing by over 80% year over year serving public safety
customers of very rural counties to state-wide deployed solutions.
The CallWorks and Vesta solutions are market leading software based
architectures delivered in on-premise or hosted configurations.
Job DescriptionThe DevOps Sr. Network Engineer is responsible for
providing network design, network configuration, consultation,
documentation and fourth-level technical support for Motorola's
Emergency Call Handling applications.
Individuals within the DevOps team are expected to leverage and
maintain their expertise in networking, telco, IT, PBX and related
telecommunications solutions to manage the communication of
code-related issues reported from Operations up to Engineering as
well as managing the Engineering down to Operations communication
of how to support new product features and solutions.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Designing, configuring and maintaining all network facilities
for customer deployments, including routers, firewalls, switches
and session border controllers.
- Representing Motorola Call Handling as a subject matter expert
of all network interfaces for CallWorks and Vesta deployments.
- Researching, testing and documenting new network technology
solutions to recommend improved solutions to Product Management
with the goal of enhancing performance and reducing operational
- Handling network and application related support tickets
escalated from level 3 support.
- Participating in weekly on-call rotation
- Maintaining router configurations under version control
- Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or related
equivalent with at least 5 years IT and networking experience
- Expert knowledge of data network and telecommunications systems
including IP addressing and naming (DNS, DHCP), VLANs,
spanning-tree, VPN/GRE tunnels, BGP, EIGRP, OSPF and SIP Session
- Strong understanding of the OSI Model
- Moderate understanding of hypervisor technologies
- Experience with Cisco ISR & ASA configurations
- Experience with SIP based communications (Asterisk a plus)
- Ability to troubleshoot SIP call setup
- Ability to analyze packet captures using wireshark
- Strong customer facing communication skills with ability to
convey complex technical issues in business terms.
- Strong problem solving / troubleshooting skills
- Ability to effectively organize tasks, manage multiple
priorities and deliver on customer commitments on schedule.
- Ability to work with all levels of management, vendors and
other internal and external groups and customers, exhibiting a
positive influence at all levels.
- Cisco certifications are a plus.
- 5+ years of experience
Travel RequirementsUnder 10%
Referral Payment PlanYesEEO Statement
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or,
any other protected characteristic.
If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this
link to apply through your Workday account.
Keywords: Motorola Solutions, Birmingham , Senior Network Engineer, Engineering , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!