Senior Android Engineer [Remote]
Posted on: November 23, 2021
We make good things happen by recognizing and rewarding people for
taking the high road. How? By reinventing insurance that celebrates
people's mindful choices.
Insurance was fundamentally a brilliant idea, but it always had a
key challenge - it couldn't identify and acknowledge the positive
decisions that individuals made along the way. But when we apply
smart mobile technologies, we can. And that's what we do. We help
our customers save on their monthly bill. But more importantly,
they join a growing movement of people who dare to live more
mindfully because doing so is simply better for everyone.
We're a well-funded, talent dense team of people who care about
using our skills to do good. From data science, to design,
engineering, insurance, product, research, user experience and
beyond - we believe in people who believe they can make the world
even better. Join us, and let's build the higher path that is
We're seeking an engineer to join our Mobile team to help build and
enhance our mobile applications. Responsibilities include
architecting solutions to solve our complex problems, developing
new and innovative experiences within our Android applications, and
providing clear estimation and scope of development to format clear
roadmaps. You'll analyze and optimize applications for quality,
efficiency and performance and collaborate cross functionally
within the organization on key projects.
* Architecture is key. You are a strong believer in architecture
and making sure that the code we write can easily be tested. You
not only look for the solution but the best one that fits any
scenario and you're willing to take on any challenge.
* Team Player. You enjoy discussing solutions or bouncing ideas off
of team members. Growing your knowledge and sharing it are
something you enjoy in your work environment. You also enjoy
experimenting and are enthusiastic about new tech.
* You've worked on an app that's lived on Google Play for a period
of time. Whether you released an app on your own or with a team,
you understand what it's like to have users and the responsibility
that comes with that. You are comfortable in a source code
environment backed by a distributed version control system - we use
* You have a complete high level understanding of major Android
components. Services, Activities, Fragments are all common
knowledge to you. You may not know all the lifecycle methods of an
Activity, but you can easily explain the most important ones.
* You know how to test. You know your code may not be perfect but
you have experience writing unit tests to help build confidence
that what you write is stable. You also can describe what kind of
automated tests can be used and how to apply them to complex
* Threading and concurrency in Java/Kotlin and Android are clear to
you. You can clearly explain asynchronous options and understand
how they run under the hood, able to choose the best option given
the task. Race conditions fear your understanding.
* Experience refactoring Java to Kotlin
* 5+ years of Android development strongly preferred
* Experience creating custom views (e.g. you implemented on Draw,
extended a View object, etc.)In-depth knowledge of at least one of
these platforms/frameworks: Google Maps, Location, Work Manager,
Realm, Navigation Component
* Knowledge of the Android SDK performance tools and optimization
* Aware of performance limitations of battery life, CPU and memory
availability to implement robust and efficient solutions for
variety of Android manufacturers
* Familiar with the changes happening with the Android rele
* Salary: We pay competitive salaries factoring in experience,
skill set, and location. We do not offer equity.
* We provide a wide-selection of health and welfare benefits
including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and supplemental
income plans. We also offer a 401(k) Plan with a company match.
* Wellness and Time Off: We provide Headspace subscriptions, a
wellness allowance, and generous time off including four weeks of
PTO in the first year of employment with additional time granted
upon hire. New parents may also take eight weeks of fully paid
parental leave (plus four weeks for parents who give birth) which
may be taken within one year after the birth and/or the adoption of
* Professional learning and growth: We provide a generous allowance
each year for professional learning, continuing education, and
* Location: May work from anywhere in the US, but will need to be
actively available during core meeting hours from 9:00AM - 3:00PM
pacific time to collaborate with team members across all time
* Some travel may be required after the San Francisco office
* Candidates based in the SF Bay Area will be able to commute to
the SF office for in-person meetings and other gatherings.
This role is employed by BlueOwl, LLC. BlueOwl, LLC is a separate
company in the State Farm family of companies and is the solutions
provider for the HiRoad Assurance Company.
Keywords: HiRoad, Birmingham , Senior Android Engineer [Remote], Engineering , Anniston, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!