Capital Project Engineer, Packaging
Company: Key People
Posted on: June 25, 2022
TITLE Lead Engineer, Packaging Engineer KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with cross functional project team, both internally and
externally to design, construct, staff, and startup a new
greenfield plant. To help build expertise in our process this role
will participate in the Phase 2 plant expansion in two other US
- Support the design, procurement, and construction for all
product and packaging equipment.
- Monitor impact of design decisions on the overall project cost
- Support the development and issuance of design basis
descriptions for these systems.
- Support the development and issuance of equipment
specifications, including success criteria.
- Participate in technical reviews of equipment proposals, and
selection of vendors including decision analyses (DAs) if
- Assist submittal review and approval for equipment.
- Support the development of factory acceptance testing (FAT)
plans. Assist in the execution of equipment FATs (at domestic and
international suppliers) to ensure equipment meets design
specifications and functionality.
- Support expediting equipment shipping and delivery to
- Support development of equipment installation scope of work and
- Support installation bid and award process.
- Assist with monitoring equipment installation for correctness
and compliance with vendor requirements. Review Field Change Orders
and approve as appropriate.
- Partner with the project team and with Operations Leadership to
develop an integrated startup plan to deliver a vertical
- Support the execution of Commissioning, Qualification, and
Verification (CQV) plans for all sandwich making and packaging
- Support startup efforts by aiding the startup team to assemble
spare parts lists, develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs),
Lock Out Tag Out (LOTO) procedures, Technology Transfer and
Transfer (TT&T) documentation, and to complete
- Partner with Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC)
firms and equipment suppliers to complete project scope of work
including resolving conflicts and managing transitions.
- Use Initiative Management (IM) pillar tools to support this
work, including checklist-based design reviews, peer reviews, and
Start Up Management (SUM) best practices.
- Use change management tools to clearly communicate potential
scope changes and cost trends quickly and broadly. Elevate key
issues for resolution.
- Coach and develop operations leaders and technicians to operate
and maintain these systems SELECTION CRITERIA EDUCATION AND/OR
- A Bachelor's degree in Engineering is required (Mechanical,
Industrial, or Chemical engineering is preferred)
- 2 - 5 years of relevant experience.
- Experience managing or supporting major capital projects.
- Ability to lead and guide contract engineering/construction
management firms and contractors.
- Prior experience working cross functionally with Business and
Operations teams. OTHER
- Broad-based technical knowledge.
- Deep technical knowledge of packaging equipment.
- Strong organization, critical thinking, and creativity
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Technical teaching skills needed to train other engineers and
technicians during startup.
- Travel to sites and equipment suppliers (domestic and
international) is required.
- Ability to travel up to 50% at peak times as the project
schedule dictates. (Great work life balance to get you home on
weekends when travel is necessary).
Keywords: Key People, Birmingham , Capital Project Engineer, Packaging, Engineering , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!