Company: Southern Research
Posted on: November 26, 2022
Advanced Engineer, Low Carbon Energy NC3 General Summary The
position is located at The National Carbon Capture Center (NCCC)
which is a U.S. Department of Energy-sponsored research facility
focused on finding breakthroughs in next-generation carbon capture
technologies. This position assists the technical concept planning
and experiment design for a customer solution, applying new or
advanced technologies as appropriate. Key Responsibilities Others
may be added
- Assist with planning, staffing, and budgeting one or more
programs to ensure the timely delivery of contractual commitments
to clients / customers. Programs will vary in complexity and
require analysis and in-depth evaluation.
- Contribute to the development of a strategic vision and
execution of research projects for next-generation carbon capture
- Work with on-field technology developers for the design,
operation, and evaluation of systems pertaining to pre and
post-combustion carbon capture, including combustion aerosol
characterization in sub-micron range using Electrical Low-Pressure
Impactor (ELPI +TM ), Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy
(FTIR), and other emerging gas analysis technologies.
- Assess client needs, formulate technical approaches, develop
RFPs, present at technical conferences and publish in trade
journals. Position Specific
- Proficient in design and maintenance of gas analysis systems,
such as probes, pumps/motors, valves, fans, condensers, boilers,
LabVIEW programming, P&ID design (Visio, AutoCAD), electrical
wiring, data acquisition specifications, interface and networking
- Maintain knowledge of engineering discipline through
familiarity with current engineering literature.
- Understand and fully utilize the application of standard
thermodynamic principles, theories, concepts and techniques.
- Evaluate experimental gas analysis design and methods and
recommend alternative and improved methods of achieving desired
- Possess strong interpersonal skills to work with clients, plant
personnel, management, and vendors to ensure successful completion
of assigned projects. Effectively using project management
methodology ensures that client projects are effectively managed.
Ensures quality of product or service delivered in a timely manner;
collaborates on project budget and project risk factors. Assists in
overseeing monthly program status updates.
- Performs other duties as may be required by supervisor. Minimum
- M.S. in engineering from an ABET accredited institution
(preferred Chemical Engineer), plus 3 - 5 years' prior experience
in an industrial or research facility. Preferred Qualifications
- PhD in area of related specialization (Preferred Chemical
- 3 - 5 years' prior experience in project management
- Technical depth in the areas of related specialization,
including low carbon energy and carbon capture. Work Environment &
Conditions This position involves work in an office and laboratory
environment and could require the use of personal protective
equipment (PPE) including:
- Safety glasses
- Hearing protection (varies based on tasks)
- Shoe covers Physical Demands In performing the work for this
position, the employee must be able to:
- Perform work utilizing a computer for extended periods of
- Sit for extended periods of time without being able to leave
the work area.
- Stand for extended periods of time without being able to leave
the work area.
- Climb ladders and stairs in performing the work.
- Walk for reasonable distances in performing the work. Travel
Moderate domestic travel may be required
Keywords: Southern Research, Birmingham , Advanced Engineer, Engineering , Wilsonville, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!