Network Control Engineer
Company: Protective Life Insurance Company
Posted on: January 26, 2023
The work we do has an impact on millions of lives, and you can
be a part of it.We help protect our customers against life's
uncertainties. Regardless of where you work within the company,
you'll be helping provide protection and peace of mind when our
customers need it most.
The Network Control Engineer role is to build, and implement
network security systems across the enterprise. This includes
planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining,
supporting, and optimizing all local area, wide area, and remote
office network security appliances and associated software. This
person will also troubleshoot network performance issues, as well
as analyze network traffic. This person will also analyze and
resolve security breaches and vulnerability issues in a timely and
accurate fashion, and conduct user activity audits where
- Strategy & Planning
- Develop, implement, maintain, and oversee enforcement of
security policies, procedures and associated plans for information
security based on industry-standard best practices.
- Assess need for any security configuration (minor
orsignificant) or architectural changes and execute as needed.
- Integrate strategy with security alerts and issues.
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols, and
standards in support of security enhancement and development
- Acquisition & Deployment
- Plan and implement any improvement, modification, or
replacement of network infrastructure components.
- Plan for network hardware and software procurement.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and
standards in support of network procurement and development
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, and associated
training for network resource administration, appropriate use, and
- Operational Management
- Monitor and analyze network performance across the
organization's LAN, WAN, cloud, and remote worker environments
- Ensure the secure operation and efficient performance of
- Monitor system capacity to determine its affect on performance
and recommend enhancements to meet new or changing network
- Identify and remediate network performance bottlenecks.
- Install and configure all network security hardware and
equipment, including firewalls, VPN appliances, Zscaler cloud
suite, and work from home (WFH) equipment.
- Inspect, maintain, and where necessary, replace network cabling
for security-related equipment.
- Configure, maintain and manage Palo Alto, Cisco, and Fortinet
- Configure, maintain and manage IPSec and SSL Virtual Private
- Configure, maintain and manage Zscaler cloud proxy
- Administer and maintain server environments supporting 2-factor
authentication, radius proxy and 802.1X authentication.
- Administer and support change control appliances for Palo Alto
firewall, Cisco firewall, Zscaler proxy, and Meraki remote worker
- Administer and support Security Event and Incident Management
(SEIM) logging tools. Integrate servers into the environment and
educate corporate application owners on user and reporting.
- Architect IT solutions at an entry level.Knowledge, Skills and
- Hands-on technical knowledge of network systems, protocols, and
standards such as Ethernet, LAN, WAN, Internet Service Provider
(ISP) technologies, TCP/IP, and 802.1x.
- Hardware, software, and network connection troubleshooting
- Any educational experience is a plus.
- Working technical knowledge of current systems software,
protocols, and standards.
- Ability to conduct research into security issues and products
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- High level of analytical and problem-solving abilities.
Intuition and keen instincts to pre-empt attacks.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a
high-pressure environment. Excellent attention to detail.
- Able to work in a team-oriented, collaborative
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate power tools, computer
keyboard, mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Occasional inspection of cables in floors and ceilings. Lifting
and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and
- On-call availability as needed.Employee Benefits: We aim to
protect our employees' wellbeing through a broad benefits offering.
For example, we protect physical wellbeing through health, dental
and vision insurance. We protect mental wellbeing through mental
health benefits and an employee assistance program. We protect time
away from work with a variety of paid time away benefits (e.g.,
paid time off, paid parental leave, short-term disability, and a
cultural observance day). We protect financial wellbeing through
contributions to healthcare accounts, a pension plan, and a 401(k)
plan with Company matching. All employees are encouraged to protect
their overall wellbeing by engaging in ProHealth Rewards,
Protective's platform to improve wellbeing while earning cash
rewards. Eligibility for certain benefits may vary by position in
accordance with the terms of the Company's benefit plans.
Diversity and Inclusion: At Protective, we are committed to
providing an inclusive culture where all employees are able to
fully contribute and thrive. Our goal is to grow and develop our
people, attract diverse talent and support strong, diverse
We support diversity, equity, and inclusion by working to develop a
culture of inclusion and belonging led by leaders who develop
potential and embrace unique skills and abilities. Our aim is to
create an equitable and accountable environment for all leaders and
employees that will drive performance and impact business strategy.
In this way, we can increase overall diversity for leadership roles
and pipelines of talent by maturing our hiring practices, robust
development opportunities and focus on retention of key talent.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to being
inclusive and attracting, retaining, and growing the talents of a
diverse and inclusive workforce.
Keywords: Protective Life Insurance Company, Birmingham , Network Control Engineer, Engineering , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!