Company: The Humane Society Of Chilton County
Posted on: April 9, 2021
Humane Society of Chilton County (HSCC)
Class Title: Director - Humane Society of Chilton County
Salary: $13 Hourly
Weekly Hours: 40 (+)
To plan, organize, manage and supervise all aspects of operations
of the HSCC as established by the Executive Board of Directors in
accordance with the HSCC Standard Operations Procedures and Bylaws.
The Executive Director:
- Serves as a dynamic liaison between the Board of Directors,
HSCC Board Members, the community, county and municipal customers
and HSCC staff. ---
- Will be expected to uphold the mission of the HSCC and promote
its goals, advising the Board of Directors in making decisions for
the best interest of the organization.
- Will be expected to take the leadership in the shelter
operations and, with the help of the employees, the shelter will
become a state of the art adoption center, low fee spay/neuter
clinic, and humane education outreach. Required Job Tasks
- A current working knowledge of companion animal care and
- An understanding of compliance issues involving pertinent
federal, state, and local regulations.
- Strong motivational skills, management skills and interpersonal
skills with the staff and the public.
- Develop programs for the HSCC, increase adoption and rescue
rates, and educate and promote spaying/neutering.
- Serve as the administrative agent of the Board of Directors and
the manager of the HSCC.
- Be available to the Board of Directors, HSCC Board Members, and
committee members for professional
consultation in connection with the affairs and activities of the
- Must be available and willing to complete chores of daily
cleaning, washing dishes, laundry and intaking of
animals as necessary.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for ensuring the mental and physical health,
well-being, and placement of all shelter animals,
including maintaining a working relationship with local
veterinarians and consulting with them on general and
specific matters, as necessary.
- Employment of a competent staff.
- Maintain the required medical and clerical supplies.
- Proper disposal of hazardous waste.
- Ensure a clean working environment in all areas of the
- Ensure preparation of all necessary paperwork.
- Anticipate and address all client concerns, questions or
- Conform to all federal, state, county and city laws and
ordinances pertaining to animal care and welfare while
performing HSCC responsibilities.
- Organize regular programs to meet the mission of the
organization and the needs of the membership and the
public as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Acquisition of materials, supplies and equipment, or direct the
same, as the budget specifications warrant. The
Executive Director is authorized to incur up to $500 per
expenditure, necessary for the day-to-day operation of the
HSCC. Any acquisition or expenditure in the amount greater than
$500 must be submitted to the Board of
Director President to be approved by the Board of Directors in
- Maintain the physical and security needs of the property and
all the facilities.
- Develop and complete preventative and required maintenance for
facility equipment, buildings, and grounds.
- Maintain professional, working relationships with other animal
welfare organizations to further our cause and
realize our mission statement.
- Develop and update municipal contracts and recommend pricing to
the Board of Directors for approval.
- Attend municipal board meetings with the Board of Directors'
President, as requested, to discuss contract services
provided by the HSCC.
- Work with the Board's Finance Committee in the preparation of
an annual budget for submission to the Board of
Directors and Board Members for consideration and approval.
- Develop and maintain adoption programs.
- Ensure website is kept current; maintain statistics about
adoptions and pets available for adoptions; as well as
- Oversee the donor database, enters donor and adoption receipts
in appropriate ledger/equipment and manage bank
account used for earmarked donations.
- Coordinate activities involving all aspects of media.
- The Executive Director will be responsible for ensuring the
gathering the articles and reports for the quarterly
newsletter and the preparation and distribution of the
- The Executive Director will be responsible for researching and
ensuring the preparation all grant applications.
- Assist the Board of Directors with fundraising activities, as
- Attend all HSCC fundraisers or appoint an employee to fill in
- Prepare monthly reports summarizing shelter statistics,
activities completed, personnel/public relations issues, and
other information for the Board of Directors.
- Prepare annual reports that summarize shelter activities.
- Responsible for all staffing needs of the HSCC, including
employees and in coordination with the Volunteer
Committee, volunteers. This responsibility includes all aspects of
the staffing cycle, including but not limited to
--- Advertising for and accepting applications for vacant
--- Interviewing potential candidates;
--- Making recommendations for hiring;
--- Periodic performance reviews;
--- Termination with board approval;
--- Periodic safety meetings;
--- Employee or volunteer medical emergencies;
--- Compliance with workers compensation laws of the State of
--- Ensuring licensed personnel remain current with continuing
--- Tracking of personnel compensated absences and overtime;
--- Salary surveys and reviews;
--- Cross-training full-time/regular staff within the HSCC; and
--- Developing and maintaining a job description for all
- Responsible for coordinating all efforts between employees and
volunteers of the HSCC to achieve maximum
- Responsible for carrying out other such duties and tasks as may
be assigned by the Board of Directors from time
Education and Experience
- Possess a valid driver's license.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of two (2) years' experience in customer service,
public relations, clerical experience, and/or working in
an animal shelter related facility.
- Possess Euthanasia Certification or acquire euthanasia
certification within six (6) months of being made a
permanent employee (providing option is available within the six
- Proven ability in preparing, attaining, and administering
external grants is greatly desired.
- Willingness to work overtime and non-standard hours as
- Be willing and available to attend training related to
- Injuries from animals pose a work hazard for employees in this
- Compassion and empathy for animal and human clients.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication
- Maturity, good judgement and professionalism.
- Ability to work individually and on a team, multi-task and
- Ability to remain calm and empathic in stressful
- Handle and restrain animals weighing up to 150 lbs.
- Lift 50 lbs. to waist height.
- Frequent standing, walking, bending, lifting, stooping,
carrying and reaching.
- Must have no allergies to felines. Knowledge, Skills, and
- Good knowledge of internet and social media platforms and
methods to connect with potential partners.
- Good knowledge of animal shelter operations, adoptions and
rescues or the ability to readily acquire such
- Good knowledge of written and verbal communication methods and
principles; good knowledge of customer
service principles and practices.
- Good knowledge of computers and job-related software
- Some knowledge of safety practices and procedures in dealing
with animals, or the ability to readily acquire such
- Some knowledge of area animal advocacy groups, or the ability
to readily acquire such knowledge.
- Ability to manage, coordinate and multi-task.
- Ability to in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to operate a camera.
- Ability to understand and explain general policies of animal
control and shelter operations, including euthanasia
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion when dealing
with sensitive subjects, such as euthanasia of
- Ability to maintain professionalism in all aspects of
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate events.
- Ability to compile and present oral and written report
- Ability to safely operate a motor vehicle and travel to
locations within the community and surrounding counties.
- Ability to establish and maintain social media
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on multiple
- Ability to communication, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with public officials, employees and the public.
- Hear well enough to respond to verbal communication and to use
- Body movement to bend, stoop and move about.
- Manual dexterity to write and type.
- Work is performed inside and outside.
- Exposure to unpleasant odors and noises.
- Exposure to bites, scratches and animal wastes.
- Possible exposure to contagious diseases.
At Will Employment
There is no minimum period of employment guaranteed or implied by
acceptance of an employment offer. It is the policy of the HSCC
that employment is at will, which means that employment is for no
specific term and that employment may be terminated by the employee
or the HSCC at any time without cause.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The HSCC is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate
against any employee or applicant because of race, color, sex,
religion, age, national origin, disability, or any other basis
protected by applicable federal, state, or
local laws. We assure you that your opportunity for employment with
the HSCC depends solely on your qualifications. Note
Statements included in this description are intended to reflect in
general the duties and responsibilities of this classification and
are not to be interpreted as being all inclusive. The employee may
be assigned other duties that are not specifically included. If you
are interested in this position please fill out the job application
below: Fields marked with an * are required Personal Information
First Name * Last Name * Email * Phone * Address * Address City *
US State * What position are you applying for? * The position
you're applying for may not be open at this time. Can we keep your
application on file? Yes or No
- No Work History
Previous Job Title * Date Previous Job Ended * Previous Job
Description * Previous Job Title Date Previous Job Ended Previous
Job Description Have you ever been convicted of a crime? (Do not
include traffic violations) *
- No If yes, please explain. References
Name 1 * Phone 1 * Name 2 * Phone 2 * Name 3 * Phone 3 * By typing
my name in the line I certify that my answers are truthful.
Keywords: The Humane Society Of Chilton County, Birmingham , Director, Executive , Clanton, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!