Chief Data Officer
Company: Southern Research
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Chief Data Officer
The Chief Data Officer (CDO) is the steward of Southern Research's
public health impact. This position will be a critical architect of
Southern Research's data and bioinformatics strategy by co-creating
and overseeing Southern Research's enterprise data strategy,
including determination of key use cases related to translational
research, health impact, and client needs; thought leadership for
Southern Research's precision medicine strategy; and
cross-collaboration with Southern Research's work in drug, vaccine,
and diagnostics research. This new visionary leader will help the
CEO establish Southern Research's scientific brand in the
pharmaceutical and biotech industries and among academic partners
and peer organizations.
Under the leadership of the CDO, Southern Research will define
expertise in bioinformatics, data science, and precision medicine;
amplify public health impact; and forge sustained scientific
partnerships with academia, industry, and government. Furthermore,
the CDO will have a joint appointment with academic affiliate, the
University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), via the Hugh Kaul
Precision Medicine Institute in an appropriate basic or clinical
science department, based on the candidate's expertise.
This position reports to the CEO, and will be a member of a
leadership team whose peers include:
- Chief Administrative Officer
- VP of Finance
- VP of Research Services
- VP of Scientific Platforms
- Chief People Officer
- Chief Business Officer The CDO will build and oversee several
groups within Southern Research:
- The CDO, as SR's chief data architect, will launch a data
- The CDO will lead SR's work in AI and Machine Learning,
leveraging SR's internal data, client / partner data, and public
- The CDO will oversee SR's work in bioinformatics, including the
creation of a clinical-genomic database
- The CDO will lead the integration of data from a new business
line in diagnostics to build an interface for both researchers as
well as physicians and providers ESSENTIAL ROLES AND
- Provide strategic leadership to grow and align data science and
bioinformatics platforms into esteemed and commercially viable
centers of excellence.
- Collaborate with the executive team to re-imagine Southern
Research as a commercial and translational engine wherein
scientific talent drives innovation.
- Establish a translational research agenda via government and
commercial work and align scientific operations with that
- Maintain a discrete portfolio of personal research to enhance
and refine subject matter expertise and remain connected to
innovations in the field.
- Co-lead a community genomic sequencing program, with the aim of
creating a clinical-genomic database and biobank serving one of the
most diverse and underinvested patient populations in the United
- Develop a scientific talent investment agenda to invest in
current team members and prioritize recruitment of new candidates
to expand or deepen capacities.
- Provide leadership to establish a seamless collaboration with
UAB to marry SR technical expertise with UAB's basic and
translational science expertise.
- Collaborate with VP for People and Community and UAB's Provost
to implement a dual appointment process with UAB.
- Chair SR's new Fellows program, with the aim of modeling a
culture of scientific mentorship, thought partnership and
collaboration with scientists and technicians in the Divisions of
Scientific Platforms and CRO Services.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO and Board on all matters
related to the development and execution of the Institute's
- Be an internal and external champion of Southern Research's
mission, vision, strategy and cultural redevelopment.
- Sets clear expectations, gives appropriate autonomy, and guides
- Co-directs the development of annual scientific and data
integration goals, including obtaining and acting upon inputs from
the Board of Directors, the Scientific Advisory Committee and
- Works closely with the CEO and other executives to ensure that
the Board of Directors are well informed.
- Establishes and effectively manages industrial and academic
collaborations, as well as internal/external partners.
- Serve as a role model as a responsible and accountable
- Act as an ambassador of Southern Research in the academic and
scientific communities alongside or in place of the CEO or other
peers within the organization
- Celebrate victories within and across divisions/units of SR and
foster a positive, collaborative culture.
- Champion Southern Research's community engagement initiatives
personally and create an environment where those reporting to you
are also encouraged to do so.
- Elevate Southern Research's brand and scientific reputation
through public speaking engagements, scientific publications, and
generation of whitepapers. OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Data Strategy & Roadmap - Defining a clear data strategy and
roadmap for the organization by understanding the needs and use
cases of the stakeholders, driving alignment around prioritization,
and ensuring execution of the roadmap
- Data Standards & Governance - Operationalize data governance
and management framework and approach across all data domains
- Data Asset Creation & Management - Build and maintain core data
assets supporting major analytics and insights use cases across the
- Prioritize creation of Data Assets (both internally and
- Automate high value Data pipelines
- Assist in technical integration to support advanced models and
- Analytics & Modeling - Design and build high value Predictive
Models for all key areas
- Create Data Analytics solutions to business problems enabling
- Analytics Translation & Delivery - Communicate and lead
implementation of Analytics Solutions in partnership with IT and
research teams to ensure value capture
- Thought leadership and innovation for data, analytics - Stay
abreast of latest trends and innovation around data and analytics
topics, and bring outside perspectives and new
capabilities/startups to the organization as appropriate to deliver
on business value QUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Comfortable with data engineering concepts, and capable of
leading a data engineering team
- Familiarity / experience with building enterprise data
warehouses or data lakes
- Comfort with the establishment of meaningful and measurable
metrics and possession of the ability to create and manage teams in
an environment that rewards innovation and outcomes
- Zealous believer in the value of the translational research
- Results-oriented collaborator that cares more about execution
- Strongly held conviction that inclusion and innovation go
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and execute with rigor and
precision in highly uncertain, ambiguous climates
- Superior ability to identify, retain or recruit, reward, and
grow top performers
- Adherent to the philosophy that the execution begins with
hiring and positioning A-Players to be successful
- Fired up when team members succeed
- Derives professional satisfaction and personal fulfillment by
empowering people and enabling team members to thrive
- Trustworthy and capable of handling confidential
- Experience in recruiting in biotech and life sciences with a
national network strongly preferred
- Confidence, poise and gravitas to be the scientific "face" of
SR in appropriate business or community settings
- Familiarity with data mapping, semantic normalization, and
aggregation of data from disparate sources
- Comfort with building data platforms that enable client use
- SR believe strongly that "getting it right is more important
than being right." In terms of the performance and personal
competencies required for the position, we would highlight the
- The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for
the organization, not only for the areas s/he is directly
responsible for, but the enterprise as a whole.
- The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of
sources to support decisions and to align others with the
organization's overall strategy.
- An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new,
innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the
boundaries within the industry.
- The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad
change with an understanding of how much change the organization is
capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation
plans that are achievable and successful.
- Ability to co-develop strategy for a new business line,
including financial and operational planning and forecasting.
EXECUTING FOR RESULTS
- The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing
the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable
in driving results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to
adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations. . click
apply for full job details
Keywords: Southern Research, Birmingham , Chief Data Officer, Executive , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!