Group Director of Clinical Services
Company: Surgical Care Affiliates
Posted on: November 11, 2019
OverviewSCA, a leader in the outpatient surgery industry,
strategically partners with health plans, medical groups and health
systems across the country to develop and optimize surgical
facilities. SCA operates more than 210 surgical facilities,
including ambulatory surgery centers and surgical hospitals, in
partnership with approximately 7,500 physicians. For more
information on SCA, visit www.scasurgery.com.Accountabilities /
ResponsibilitiesThe Legacy Group, covering a 10-state geography and
supporting 65+ facilities, is looking for a Group Clinical Director
to lead the strategy and performance of our clinical services. This
position will require a candidate with equal strengths in
leadership, developing and influencing teams, and driving clinical
quality and performance to achieve a culture of patient safety and
zero harm.??This position will report directly to the Group
President and will partner as such in developing and implementing a
clinical strategic plan to ensure a strong and consistent clinical
performance and hiring and training a strong Clinical Leadership
team.? This leader will have 1-3 direct reports and will need to be
willing to travel 60%+??Duties/Responsibilities?Maintain Current
- Clinical best practices
- Accreditation and regulatory standards
- Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Plan; Associated tools,
resources and processes
- Facility Governance Structure
- SCA Governing Body (GB) and Medical Executive Committee (MEC)
- Facility Medical Staff Rules and Regulations
- SCA policies and procedures (support services and templates
- Infection control guidelines
- Nationally recognized patient safety goals (NPSGs) for ASCs
and/or Surgical Hospitals
- Environmental safety and Environment of Care regulations and
- Medical Staff Services and Credentialing guidelines, policies,
resources, and processes
- Facility and regional education, orientation and training
- Facility leadership responsibilities
- SCA Human Resource (HR) file components and regulatory
- SCA Clinical Services Tools & Resources: OSCAR Clinical Support
Service and Department Homepage with associated tools & resources,
Clinical Insight dashboards, Microsoft 365 relevant tools (Share
Point, Yammer, OneDrive, etc.), and Clinical Services Platforms
(Electronic Systems, RL Solutions, MCN, LMS, etc.).
- SCA clinical quality, patient safety, and clinical operational
efficiency targets and key performance indicators. ?Participation
in development, coordination, and communication of strategic
clinical-quality initiatives to regional, facility and operations
leaders and SCA Support Services Departments as applicable:?
- Contribute to the development and alignment of annual goals and
strategic initiatives for the Clinical Services Department.
- Communicate and lead SCA Clinical Services Department strategic
plan and initiatives with facility, regional quality and operations
leaders and articulate outcomes through use of metrics.
- Maintain regular communication with operations leaders and the
SCA Clinical Services Department and Support Services lanes as
appropriate on progress and status of strategies, goals,
objectives, and work plans, and priorities.
- Communicate with the Regional Quality Leaders of applicable
region(s) information pertaining to strategies, goals, objectives,
action plans, and related details via regularly scheduled
communication, conference calls, email, and regional quality
- Lead and participate in SCA company-wide and regional clinical
and quality meetings and conference calls.?Provide mentorship,
leadership and education/training regarding clinical strategic
initiatives and quality programs to Regional Quality Leads and
Facility Clinical Leads. ?
- Support facilities in implementation and maintenance of SCA
performance-quality improvement and patient safety program.
- Support facilities with SCA clinical and safety policy and
procedure implementation and promote compliance with annual and
periodic review and updates as appropriate.
- Assist and mentor regional and facility quality leaders with
planning of facility and regional quarterly quality council
meetings using standard SCA agenda and minutes format.
- Educate, direct and provide resources as needed to assist new
SCA teammates assigned to Regional Quality Leader positions
regarding the SCA Performance-Quality Improvement and Patient
Safety Program and their respective responsibilities in carrying
out the program details.
- Train and mentor other facility-based quality council members
(Infection Control Preventionist (ICP), Employee Health Nurse,
Safety Coordinator, Education Coordinator, etc.) as needed.
- Support and direct facility and regional benchmarking
activities, ensuring the utilization of the standardized SCA
benchmarking dashboards and report(s) for internal and external
benchmarking efforts, interpretation of trends and process
- Provide guidance in the completion, reporting and follow-up of
all mandatory monthly, quarterly, and annual reports per SCA
Performance-Quality Improvement and Patient Safety Plan, as per the
responsibility of the facility quality council.?Monitor, analyze
and communicate to facilities and operations leaders regarding
activities, trends, results and recommendations related to patient
safety, quality, accreditation, and regulatory activities and
- Communication of facility issues or needs to appropriate
operations leader(s) and/or SCA Support Services
- Monitor and evaluate facility risk data for process improvement
- Collect, aggregate and present survey trends or data outcome
trends to regions and facilities to mitigate risk and enhance
compliance. ?Provide consultative services to facilities for
accreditation and regulatory survey preparation and activities:?
- Include goals and expectations related to achievement of
accreditation and ongoing survey preparedness.
- Serve as liaison between SCA support services
teammates/departments and facilities.
- Assist facilities with preparation of information for
accreditation survey application as needed.
- Assist facilities with regulatory and accreditation standards
compliance and, as applicable, development of action plans required
by identified accreditation organizations.
- Assist facilities accredited by The Joint Commission?s (TJC) to
complete the required Periodic Performance Review (PPR) as
- Coordinate and assist with preparation for scheduled and
unannounced accreditation and regulatory surveys and inspections as
- Obtain copies of survey reports and review to identify
successes and opportunities for improvement; Provide
recommendations and deploy strategies as appropriate to the
situation. Ensure copies of reports are stored in the department?s
designated storage area.
- Assist facilities to provide required responses including
progress reports, action plans or plans of correction in accordance
with accreditation and regulatory requirements and SCA
recommendations as appropriate.
- Provide guidance regarding required notification to appropriate
licensing or accrediting bodies of changes in service and
acquisition/ownership or closing of any facility and communication
to SCA Clinical Services Department as applicable.
QualificationsLicenses or Certifications: Licensed Registered
Nurse?Education, vocational training, and experience: ?Licensed
Registered Nurse, Bachelor?s Degree required.? MSN preferred with a
minimum of ten years? experience working as a Registered Nurse, to
include nursing leadership position(s) related experience. Active
membership in the Association of perioperative Registered Nurses
(AORN), CNOR preferred. A minimum of five years? experience in the
Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC)/Surgical Hospital industry and ASC
operations, to include experience supporting multiple
locations.?Clinical Director Position Requirements:??
- Serve as a steward and leader of a Culture of Patient Safety
for SCA Enterprise and partnerships and facilities that the
- Possess excellent written and oral communication skills,
ability to motivate teams.
- Knowledge of accreditation standards, survey methodology and
related tools and resources for regulatory and accreditation
compliance and survey readiness.
- Strong organizational and leadership skills including conflict
resolution. Demonstration of behaviors that support and promote SCA
Values when engaging with others.
- Ability to influence stakeholders.
- Actively participates and contributes in enterprise Clinical
Services communication, meetings, and strategic planning and
- Continues personal professional development through active
participation in and contribution to industry conferences, meeting
presentations, journal publication and educational offerings.
Examples include but are not limited to ASCA and associated state
groups, AORN, ASPAN, AAMI, AAAHC, TJC, CMS, ASCQC, APIC, CDC, OSHA,
and the like.?
- Executive presence: Individual will work closely with new
partnerships, executive management, operation team leaders, and
internal business unit leaders.
- Ability to demonstrate flexibility, prioritization, and change
management techniques to meet the evolving needs and priorities of
- Must be willing to travel as needed to support enterprise
initiatives. Estimated travel is 50-75% generally within assigned
- Experience and proficient in use of Microsoft word, excel, and
power point.Please send resumes email@example.com
Keywords: Surgical Care Affiliates, Birmingham , Group Director of Clinical Services, Executive , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!