Laboratory Assistant - Anatomic Pathology
Company: Southern Research
Posted on: November 25, 2022
LABORATORY ASSISTANT - ANATOMIC PATHOLOGY General Summary This
position is responsible for providing general laboratory operations
support in a contract research laboratory setting. The Laboratory
Assistant must have a demonstrated understanding of basic
scientific terminology, laboratory practices, research and methods.
This position must be able to work well within a team and
independently on routine tasks. The position will report directly
to the Supervisor, Anatomic Pathology and will also support
research teams/groups led by other individuals and may be required
to obtain or take direction from those outside of the traditional
reporting structure. This direction may include day to day task
direction to ensure quality of work completed. This position
supports scientific staff in maintaining a clean and organized work
environment. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Observe and execute activities consistent with study protocols,
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) or Laboratory Methods, Good
Laboratory Practices (GLP) regulations, and safety and health
- Demonstrate knowledge of basic study design.
- Clean and maintain laboratory spaces and ancillary areas in a
safe and orderly manner.
- Maintain, clean, and check equipment including but not limited
to balances, freezers, refrigerators, laboratory ovens, paraffin
baths, tissue processors and tissue embedding centers.
- Assist in sample preparation tasks.
- Label research samples (tubes, slides, and blocks) accurately
and distribute them to the appropriate department.
- Assist in sample disposition process.
- Maintain equipment records and maintenance logs in compliance
with SR SOPs.
- Assist in maintaining an adequate in-house stock of laboratory
- Aid in the archival of samples.
- Prepare and/or aliquot stock reagents as needed.
- Other duties as required. Requirements/Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma/GED with 1-2 years related experience; or
equivalent combination of education, training and experience in a
GLP, GMP or clinical analytical laboratory
- Able to work overtime, weekends, holidays when necessary
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized and able to
prioritize work for timely completion
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repetitive and strenuous activities that
require standing or stooping/crouching
- Ability to observe appropriate safety and study requirements by
reading, understanding and following Standard Operating Procedures,
Good Laboratory Practices requirements, and study protocols.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) to include
an N95 respirator or PAPR for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in relevant computer programs (e.g. MS
Office Suite Products).
- Demonstrated ability to learn new tasks.
- This position requires the ability to meet all entry
requirements, including medical and vaccination requirements for
work in both an ABSL-2 and ABSL-3 laboratory environment. Work
Environment & Conditions This position is in a BSL-2/3 animal
facility environment and requires the use of personal protective
equipment (PPE) including (but not limited to):
- Eye protection (safety glasses and full-face shield)
- Close toed shoes
- Respirator (varies based on tasks and barrier
- Tyvek/scrub suits
- Nitrile and latex gloves (varies based on tasks)
- Hearing protection (varies based on tasks) Immunizations are
required for this position and are determined by the study/agent.
Some examples include Tetanus, Hepatitis B, Smallpox, Polio, and
Influenza. Physical Demands This position requires significant
physical exertion including (but not limited to):
- Standing, walking, or climbing for extended periods of
- Lifting, pulling, or pushing heavy objects (sometimes in excess
- Perform repetitive and strenuous activities that require
standing or Stooping/crouching by bending at waist or legs
- Clear vision with corrective lenses at 20 feet or more and
ability to determine colors (no color blindness)
- Fine motor skills and manual dexterity
- Withstanding exposure to constant or intermittent high noise
Keywords: Southern Research, Birmingham , Laboratory Assistant - Anatomic Pathology, Healthcare , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!