Assistant Lab Technician, Compound Management
Company: Southern Research
Posted on: January 24, 2023
ASSISTANT LAB TECHNICIAN, COMPOUND MANAGEMENT General Summary
This position is responsible for assisting in the management of the
compound repository and chemical stockroom for the Chemistry
Department. Works with members of Compound Management in the
receipt, storage, inventory, and dissemination of chemicals and
compounds. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Receives all compounds that chemists submit to the compound
repository. The vials are to be added to the electronic inventory
- Sample requests are to be addressed promptly, typically
completed within one day. A record of requests and their current
status is maintained.
- Ensures that care is taken during the weighing of samples. The
weighed samples must be labeled and the inventory must be updated
to reflect the changes. Sample request documents are to be
- Weighed samples may be required to be delivered within the SR
campus or shipped to the appropriate recipient. Authoring of
shipping documents is commonly required.
- Receives all materials purchased for the chemists including
some hazardous chemicals.
- Implements and observes appropriate safety and health practices
including personal protective equipment (PPE) and safe laboratory
- Chemicals are to be registered and inventoried before being
distributed to the chemists.
- Performs associated duties as may be required by Compound
Management. Requirements/Minimum Qualifications
- Must have completed some undergraduate-level chemistry
coursework; organic chemistry coursework is preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications - Outlook, Word,
Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to interact and communicate effectively
- Must possess attention to detail with the ability to spot an
error among large amounts of data.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, be
results-oriented, and have excellent time management skills.
- As a Federal contractor, Southern Research may be required to
comply with a Federal COVID-19 vaccination mandate. In that event,
Southern Research will require that all newly hired employees show
proof of full COVID vaccination or authorized exemption prior to
their start date. Work Environment & Conditions This position works
in an office and in a laboratory environment and requires the use
of personal protective equipment (PPE) including (but not limited
- Eye protection (Safety glasses and/or full-face shield)
- Respirator (varies based on tasks and barrier
- Tyvek/scrub suits
- Nitrile (or equivalent) gloves (varies based on tasks)
- Hearing protection (varies based on tasks) Physical Demands
- Ability to perform work utilizing a computer for extended
periods of time
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time without being able
to leave the work area
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time without being
able to leave the work area
- Ability to climb a ladder and stairs in performing the
- Ability to walk for reasonable distances in performing the
- Ability to lift/carry objects weighing up to 25 lbs. in
performing the work
- Ability to pull or push objects weighing up to 50 lbs. in
performing the work
- Use of keyboard requiring repetitive motion of fingers
- Use of telephone and face-to-face communication requiring
accurate perception of speech
Keywords: Southern Research, Birmingham , Assistant Lab Technician, Compound Management, Healthcare , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!