Grader/Sorters are primarily responsible for grading and sorting
incoming metal products according to factors such as appearance and
quality to ensure correct processing and usage. Other
responsibilities include general yard cleanup and other maintenance
This is a physical job, so applicants must be able to frequently
walk on uneven ground, handle and grasp materials, crouch, bend,
reach, climb, twist, push, pull and lift/carry up to 50 pounds
occasionally. Visual acuity is needed for close detail work. To
ensure safety everyone's safety at work, applicants must be able to
hear and communicate by speech.
Environmental and Health & Safety (H&S)
- Strictly adheres to all Metals Recycling Business Health,
Safety, and Environmental standards.
- Provides a safe environment for all employees, customers and
Operational Performance & Best Business Practices
- General clean up and yard maintenance including but not limited
to digging, sweeping, maintenance of weeds and brush, and repaid of
- Basic sorting of scrap, as well as metal and debris in
- Greasing and general cleanup at the shear and/or shredder.
- Assist with repairs and maintenance as required at
- Provide backup or assistance throughout the yard as needed or
- Report all equipment deficiencies or malfunctions for
maintenance or repair to the proper supervisor.
- Candidates must have the ability to carry out instructions
provided in written, oral, or diagrammatic form.
- Ability to speak and understand English as a basic level
- Ability to learn new tasks as assigned required.
- Experience in a scrap yard preferred.
- This position requires possession of a valid driver's license
and the ability to drive an automobile.
PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the
general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned
to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, duties and skills required.
All U.S. applicants must be 18 years of age or older and all
Canada applicants must be 16 years of age or older.
Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. participates in e-verify for
all U.S. new hires.
An offer of U.S. employment by Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc.
or any of its subsidiaries is contingent on the satisfactory
completion of a post-offer drug screen and background check.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Schnitzer Steel Industries,
Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color,
sex, marital status, disability status, national origin or
ancestry, veteran status, age, prior industrial injury, sexual
orientation, genetic information, or any other protected status
under local, state or federal law.