Environmental Specialist/Engineer - Land & Water Policy
Environmental Specialist/Engineer - Land & Water Policy
Southern Company Services (SCS), Environmental Policy &
This position in the Environmental Policy and Engagement group
of SCS Environmental Affairs (EA) supports overall environmental
regulatory assessment and development, policy analysis and strategy
development across land and water media areas. Areas of
responsibility could include support of the ongoing and long-term
coal combustion residual (CCR) program, effluent limitations
guidelines (ELG) rulemakings affecting operational and retired coal
plants, emerging renewable waste stream policy development,
underground injection of existing and future waste streams,
hazardous waste management and transportation regulations, tracking
of emerging contaminants regulations, and support of natural
resources and permitting groups within SCS EA. The position will be
filled as an Engineer or Environmental Specialist at an exempt
level 3 to 6 depending upon candidate qualifications.
* Lead certain (land or water) system environmental land or
water governance activities, including leading and arranging
meetings, agenda preparation and facilitating dialogue.
* Track, analyze and communicate federal environmental
regulatory developments and their impact to the Southern
* Represent Southern Company in external forums and industry
groups, including Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), Utility
Solid Waste Activity Group (USWAG), Utility Water Act Group (UWAG),
Cross Cutting Issues Group (CCIG) and others.
* Support Southern Company's Washington DC office and provide
policy impact analyses of both regulatory and legislative
* Support preparation of various environmental policy,
regulation and strategy documents, including Federal testimony,
responses to legislative inquiries, comments on regulatory
proposals, Public Service Commission testimony, earnings call
preparation, Board of Director updates and responses to data
* Support preparation of environmental aspects of financial
disclosure documentation on behalf of Southern and Operating
* Participation in public meetings on behalf of Operating
Companies as a regulatory subject matter expert, as requested.
* Support company stakeholder engagement and stewardship
activities, as requested.
* Support company project permitting and siting activities, as
well as consulting on various ongoing Operating Company compliance
* Travel to meetings may be required (up to 25%).
JOB EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
* B.S. or B.A. in Engineering, Environmental Science, Policy or
Related Degree required.
* Experience reading, interpreting, and communicating complex,
regulatory, or legal material (i.e. articles, reports, regulations,
policies, etc.) required.
* Previous experience with environmental compliance, policy
analysis or related activities is preferred.
* Experience with power utility operations and environmental
compliance activities preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
* Demonstrated knowledge of environmental statues, including,
but not limited to, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA),
Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), Comprehensive Environmental
Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) or Clean Water
* Demonstrated knowledge of utility operations, renewables and
associated waste streams, power generation wastewater effluents,
coal combustion residual (CCR) management, groundwater monitoring
and corrective action, solid and hazardous waste management
(generation, handling, storage, transportation and disposal),
environmental monitoring and remediation, wastewater management,
underground injection control (one or more preferred).
* Ability read, comprehend and communicate business impact of
complex environmental regulations.
* Strong written communication skills, including ability to
prepare concise, accurate and timely summaries of regulatory
* Strong oral communication skills, including ability to speak
in public and facilitate internal and external meetings.
* Ability to build strong and trusting relationships with peer
groups and customers.
* Problem-solving and decision-making skills.
* Listening, consensus-building and comfort formulating and
representing consensus opinion on behalf of customers.
* Ability to assume new responsibilities and develop subject
matter expertise on previously unfamiliar topics.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently without day-to-day
* Team-oriented and willingness to work across environmental
media as needed.
* Comfort working in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint, Teams) and with remote working
* Must consistently demonstrate the behavior of Our Values -
Safety First, Unquestionable Trust, Superior Performance, and Total
* Must think strategically, display customer focus, and
* Must be able to work in a team environment with diverse
disciplines and backgrounds.
* Competitive Pay
* Excellent benefits packages which includes:
* Medical and dental coverage
* Defined Pension/Cash Balance Benefit Plan
* Performance-sharing plan
* 401(k) plan with a generous company match
* Bonus opportunities
* Tuition Reimbursement
Please submit an updated resume with your application.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO ) is America's premier energy
company, with 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500
billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and
throughput volume serving 9 million customers through its
subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and
affordable energy through electric operating companies in four
states, natural gas distribution companies in seven states, a
competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across
America and a nationally recognized provider of customized energy
solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications.
Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service,
high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national
average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation,
Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's
energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources,
including carbon-free nuclear, natural gas, renewables and energy
efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit
of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S.
Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military
employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by
DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40
Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for
Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National
Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic
Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear
development and is continually ranked among the top energy
companies in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas
Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an
applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran
status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or
expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Environmental & Forestry
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Alabama-Metro Birmingham/Eastern
Operating Company: Southern Company Services
Other Locations: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta, Alabama-Metro
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
APC Corporate Headquarters - 600 North 18th Street
600 North 18th Street
Req ID: SCS2009456