Company: Noland Health Services
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Summary of Duties
Functions in a clinical and managerial capacity, with the
delegated authority, responsibility, and accountability for the
direct supervision of nursing and the day-to-day operations of
nursing. Responsible for the quality of clinical practice and the
efficient and effective delivery of patient care to the adult or
geriatric patient. Responsible for compliance to established
standards, practices, and regulatory requirements for nursing.
Responsible for hospital operations in the absence of the Director
of Clinical Services (DCS) and Administrator.
Essential Job Functions
- Plans and coordinates, staffing in patient care areas in
conjunction with the DCS.
- Supervises direct nursing care through utilization of the
- Participates in weekly patient care conferences to plan
multi-disciplinary patient care.
- Responds immediately to life-threatening situations and assumes
leadership role in absence of physician to assure appropriate
algorithms are followed to sustain life, according to established
- Verifies that employees have received adequate orientation
based on the employee's individual competency levels prior to the
completion of the 90-day introductory period..
- Assists in recruitment, selection, and placement of qualified
personnel. Works with Human Resources in verification of nurses
credentials and maintains a system that indicates the
qualifications, experience, accomplishments, and competency of each
member of the Nursing Department.
- Supervises and develops nursing staff by providing guidance
concerning problem solving and professional development.
- Explains nursing interventions to health team members through
direct interactions, report, and patient care conferences.
- Develops and maintains staffing schedules.
- Oversees the maintenance of the time and attendance
- Adjusts staffing levels up or down as appropriate on a shift by
shift basis, based on patient census and acuity levels. Ensures
that weekend staffing is covered before the start of the
- Directs behaviors of staff by use of observation. Takes
immediate corrective action, to include counseling and/or
appropriate disciplinary action when necessary through the
progressive discipline process.
- Evaluates staff performance and effects change as necessary.
Completes 90 day and annual performance evaluations in a timely
manner to include descriptive and/or objective performance
- Assures staff compliance with non-protocol restraint orders,
order renewals and documentation. Assists staff with identifying
strategies to reduce restraint use.
- Assures staff assessment and intervention of patient pain on a
shift by shift basis using a 1-10 pain rating scale or other
appropriate method. Assists staff with resolving pain management
issues as needed.
- Maintains the security of medication carts, keys, and staff
- Serves as resource person in performing specialized nursing
skills, including but not limited to, mgt ET tube,
ABGs/venipuncture, hemodynamic line care, drip monitoring, and 12
- Serves as resource person in the operation of high technical
electronic life support, including but not limited to, monitoring
equipment, defibrillator, and ventilators. Makes sure that needed
equipment is available for patient care.
- Serves as resource person in providing rehabilitative care
according to standards.
- Serves as facility liaison to infection control program and
collaborates with the facility Infection Control Officer.
- Demonstrates and/or supervises procedures and treatments
performed by staff or orientees and assures appropriate
- Maintains records and documents in order to show compliance
with regulatory agencies and assists with survey preparation of
- Assures all communications (verbal, electronic, and written)
regarding Protected Health Information are handled according to the
facility and/or company privacy plan.
- Assists DCS in Performance Improvement data collection and
reporting. Functions in the capacity of team leader or member of
Performance Improvement teams as required.
Graduate of an accredited School of Nursing, BSN preferred. Must
have current Alabama license as a Registered Nurse.
Two (2) years critical care or comparable area experience and
demonstrated leadership skills required.
Physical Requirements for Essential Job Functions
- Must be emotionally stable, physically fit, and able to cope
with emergencies and a high stress work environment.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. occasionally, 20 lbs. frequently,
and 10 lbs. constantly.
- Must have the ability to walk and stand 80% of an 8 to 12 hour
- Must have the ability to push/pull up to 100 lbs. in order to
position patients, move beds, carts, etc., and aid patients in
- Must possess sight/hearing senses or use prosthetics that will
enable these senses to function adequately, so that the
requirements of this position can be fully met.
Keywords: Noland Health Services, Birmingham , Nurse Manager, Other , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!