Section 8 Housing Specialist
Company: Bessemer Housing Authority
Posted on: January 15, 2022
BESSEMER HOUSING AUTHORITYPosition Description – Section 8
Housing Specialist(January 11, 2022 – January 25, 2022)
POSITION OVERVIEWThis is highly responsible management work related
to the Authority's Section 8 voucher management function. The
incumbent is responsible for the management of all activities
related to the Section 8 program. Reporting to the Assisted Housing
Director, this position is responsible for eligibility, leasing,
continued occupancy, termination, and inspection of all
participants and properties in the program. The incumbent is also
responsible for the programmatic performance of their assigned
allocation of vouchers. Work assignments are received in the form
of broad objectives and performance expectations with minimal
direction in day-to-day operations. This position may supervise
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The statements contained here reflect general details as necessary
to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of
knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of
responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive
listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties
as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover
absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise
balance the workload. The functions listed are also examples of
duties that may be required and in no way imply a contractual
agreement between the employer and employee or affect the at-will
relationship between the parties.
1. Responsible for all aspects of the management of their assigned
2. Performs or supervises the performance of eligibility tasks
related to intake and continued occupancy.
3. Performs or supervises the performance of verification tasks
that may include background checks, income verification,
documentation of family composition, verification of citizenship
status, and other tasks as defined in the Administrative Plan.
4. Issues vouchers to prospective participants. Conducts voucher
briefings and fields questions or requests from prospective
5. Receives and processes Requests for Tenancy Approval.
Coordinates the initial inspection of the prospective property and
counsels the prospective participant as needed regarding the
suitability of property.
6. Reviews the initial inspection and notifies participant and
owner of results. Establishes follow-up inspection date, if
7. Processes and evaluates any requests for extensions to voucher
expiration date in accordance with the administrative plan.
8. Completes contracting in accordance with the administrative plan
and ensures proper execution by participant(s) and owner in
accordance with Authority policy. Processes contract in the Housing
Assistance Payment (HAP) system to ensure payments to owners.
9. Processes monthly Housing Assistance Payments to owners and
Utility Reimbursement Payments to participants, as applicable.
Provides for special or nonroutine payments as appropriate.
10. Schedules and completes the recertification process for all
participants at least every 12 months. Conducts recertification
interview, verifies new eligibility information, calculates
tenant's portion of the rent, coordinates the annual inspection,
and notifies both the participant and the owner of the outcome of
11. Ensures the annual inspection of all properties on the program
at least annually in accordance with the Housing Quality Standards
as issued by HUD or other protocol imposed by HUD, local code, or
12. Holds or abates Housing Assistance Payments in accordance with
the administrative plan to ensure program compliance and
13. Prepares documentation and files for the termination of
participants in default of their contract in accordance with
Authority policy. Notifies owners of such termination. Represents
the Authority in court as directed by the Executive Director.
14. Absorbs or administers incoming vouchers from other agencies in
accordance with portability regulations. Monitors all outgoing
portable vouchers that are not absorbed by the receiving
15. Performs quality control inspections on applications, voucher
issuance documents, Housing Assistance Payments contracts,
inspections and other program activities to ensure compliance with
HUD regulation and Authority policies and procedures.
16. Conducts outreach activities to current and prospective owners
to ensure understanding of program opportunities, rules, and
regulations. Educates owners on the property requirements under
Housing Quality Standards.
17. Promotes resident services functions for participants with
in-house or community service providers. Establishes linkages with
local providers and/or contractors as needed to meet the need of
residents and promote self sufficiency.
18. Represents the Authority on a daily basis on the site in
accordance with established policies and procedures. Ensures that
the Authority's interests are protected at all times and
communicates any issues to the Assisted Housing Director.
19. Attends professional meetings and training sessions to ensure
proficiency in the eligibility, property management, and program
ADDITIONAL MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITIESThis position is responsible
for certain management duties that pertain to the operation or
improvement of all agency programs and properties. These additional
management responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the
1. Manages reporting for the program under the Section Eight
Management Assessment Program (SEMAP) and prepares the annual
certification as required by HUD regulations.
2. Prepares periodic reporting to funding agencies as required by
3. Provides periodic reporting and update to the governing boards
(including the agency Board of Commissioners) regarding program
performance. Recommends changes in policy or procedure as needed to
improve overall operational performance.
Additional management duties may be assigned, as needed, to ensure
the maximum performance of the programs and properties
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of the structure, operations, policies, and procedures
of a Public Housing Agency.
2. Knowledge of the vision, mission, and purposes of the Authority
as established by the Board of Commissioners and the Executive
3. Knowledge of current trends in effective Section 8 program
management. Ability to proactively modify operational approach to
maximize the performance of assigned programs.
4. Knowledge of the Section Eight Management Assessment Program and
ability to apply standards to maximize the score.
5. Ability to plan, organize, and develop a variety of operational
and management systems related to the position. Ability to orient
other workers and to explain regulations, policies, procedures, or
6. Ability to calculate and understand various indicators of
program performance including utilization rate, turnover rate,
rejection rate, etc.
7. Ability to produce periodic reporting and provide clear and
concise performance data to the Executive Director, including
applicable recommendations for improvements.
8. Ability to present ideas and information in a clear and concise
manner, both orally and in writing.
9. Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with co-workers, vendors, consultants, contractors,
professionals, residents, HUD, and local, state, and federal
officials. Ability to communicate with people from a broad range of
Performance standards are provided to help facilitate the periodic
evaluation of the degree to which the employee meets the
requirements of the job. The performance standards below represent
examples and are in no way all-inclusive. The Authority reserves
the right to add or change performance standards through a
modification of the position description, a supplemental
performance evaluation tool, or written or verbal communication
between the employee and their supervisor or the PHA Executive
Director. Achieving the performance standards in no way guarantees
a change in compensation and does not supersede or affect the
at-will relationship between the employer and employee. Examples of
performance standards for this position include, but are not
limited to, the following:
1. Ensures that the program utilization rate is 97% or higher of
either available funding or voucher authorization.
2. Ensures that all participants are recertified at least
3. Ensures that all properties are inspected at least annually.
4. Ensures a SEMAP score of 90% or higher.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, TRAINING, AND/OR EXPERIENCE
This position requires graduation from an accredited four-year
college with a degree in business, property management, or related
field; a minimum of five years experience managing voucher
programs; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and
experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
This position is required to work in less than ideal conditions,
including noise, high-traffic areas, rough terrain, and undeveloped
areas. The incumbent must have the ability to access all portions
of their assigned site during normal operation and during active
construction or modernization. The incumbent must access all areas
of a property including the attic, basement, or crawl space and
must be able to work/inspect in wet, damp, hot, cold, or dusty
places. Must be able to work while standing for extended periods of
1. Possession of a valid Alabama driver's license.
2. Must be bondable
Keywords: Bessemer Housing Authority, Birmingham , Section 8 Housing Specialist, Other , Bessemer, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!