Company: Birmingham Jefferson Co
Posted on: September 23, 2022
The Utility Coordinator will participate in the following
mechanical workwith responsibilities for coordinating activities
involved in producing and distributing heat, hot water, chilled
water and air conditioning to the entire Birmingham Jefferson
Convention Complex by operating, maintaining and repairing the
Mechanical Plant equipment such as boilers, pipe systems, pumps,
hot water generators, and air-cooling units. Technical Expertise
and Knowledge Demonstrates understanding and full performance
ability in each of the following:
- Understands the full range of principles, terms, techniques,
procedures for starting and operating air handler units, boilers
- Independently work to maintain water softeners and keep
chemicals at a proper level.
- Maintain, start and stop ice machine for ice shows in the
- Ability to start, operate and maintain cooling tower fans.
- Operates and controls utility panels that monitor equipment to
maintain services to the facility.
- Maintain and change filters in air handlers.
- The ability to plan, schedule, operate and maintain all
mechanical equipment to ensure proper temperature for shows and
other facility events. Paints MP equipment and piping as part of
- An advanced understanding and ability to ensure that the
Mechanical Plant operations stay within the K.V.A. limit.
- Operate and maintain computer systems for HVAC.
- Ability to monitor and maintain correct chemical levels for
open and closed loop systems for HVAC.
- Makes decisions independently and address issues, complaints,
and needs, as a part of the group decision-making process.
- Meets deadlines, define, measure and evaluate to prioritize
one's own work.
- An advanced ability to follow verbal and written
communications, regarding mechanical needs, event needs, and
distributes to appropriate internal and external departments, if
- Ability to effectively listen, speak, write, and interact in a
tactful and persuasive manner in both a work and public
- Responds to mechanical issue/complaints in verbal and written
- Ability to document and maintain records, recordings, etc.,
relating to chemical readings, when making rounds.
- Anticipates mechanical needs and be proactive in communicating
problems, solutions, etc.
- Ensures boiler room and control room is organized and clean to
prevent fire hazards.
- Takes necessary precautions, in keeping with OSHA standards and
other applicable federal and state regulations, when working with
hazardous chemicals and materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Work Environment
This position may have a moderate to extensive stress level
associated with dealing with crowds of public visitors. The
environment is mainly indoors, however position may be required to
work outdoors and exposed to the elements (heat, rain, etc.). The
work involves moderate risks or discomforts which require special
safety precautions, e.g. working around moving parts, machines,
fumes, irritant chemicals. May be required to use protective
clothing, or gear such as masks, googles, gloves, hard hats, or
shields. Physical Demands Position requires lifting, climbing,
carrying, bending, stooping, squatting, and kneeling for extended
periods of time. Extensive walking and or standing. Ability to lift
up to 50-pound items with or without assistance, while maintaining
good balance. Must be flexible enough to reach above shoulder level
and be able to push and pull for extended periods of time. Position
Type/Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position; hours of
work must be flexible and varied to meet the demands of the events
of the facility. Must be able to work extended and/or irregular
hours including day, nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum of two (2) years related knowledge, experience, and
skills in related work, in the operation of modern Mechanical
Plant. Knowledgeable of the practices, methods, tools, materials
and equipment in associated work.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. (Trade or technical school
training in HVAC preferred).
- Valid State of Alabama Driver License. Additional Eligibility
- Must possess superb verbal and written communication skills,
with the ability to clearly speak and write English
- Ability to be supervised and work cooperatively with co-workers
and provide good internal and external customer service
- Ability to use and care for general maintenance tools and
- Ability to visually inspect and watch monitor control units for
- Ability to locate and troubleshoot defects and problems;
ability to work unsupervised after being instructed on tasks
- Basic computer skills preferred PI191523127
Keywords: Birmingham Jefferson Co, Birmingham , Utility Coordinator, Other , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!