Facility Maintenance Technician
Company: Birmingham Jefferson Co
Posted on: January 27, 2023
Summary/Objective Under general supervision, the Facility
Maintenance Technician performs a variety of maintenance and
repairs services to various systems at the BJCC.CompetenciesThe
following competencies describe the knowledge, skills, abilities,
and attributes that lead to a successful employee in this position.
An applicant will be expected to exhibit these competencies or the
ability to reach competency achievement within a specified time.
These competencies are linked to the essential functions of the
job. Employees in this position may be evaluated on these
competencies as part of the performance appraisal system. Technical
Expertise and KnowledgeDemonstrates understanding and full
performance ability in each of the following:
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of all tools of the
- Cleaning equipment, storage rooms, and tool rooms.
- Performs preventative, diagnostic and corrective maintenance of
facilities through a computer maintenance management system
- Must have general electrical knowledge and understanding of
AC/DC theory, relays, switches, solenoids, fuses, breakers,
- Demonstrates an ability to repair lighting fixtures, outlets,
switches and other general electrical functions throughout the
- Ability to troubleshoot facility asset failures and propose
possible corrective actions.
- Performs routine maintenance on plumbing repairs such as
unstopping plugged drains/toilets, water leaks, faucets, facility
piping inspections, etc.
- Demonstrates an ability to maintain and repair kitchen
equipment including ice machines, coolers and freezers, cooking
- Must have the general knowledge and ability to replace drive
belts, clean and lubricates shafts, bearings, gears, pulleys and
other parts of machinery.
- Demonstrates an ability to effectively listen, speak, write,
and interact in a tactful and professional manner.
- Demonstrates ability to work as a team and address issues and
complaints as a part of the group decision-making process.
- Repair/replace doors, locks, drywall, ceiling tiles and other
facility related components.
- Demonstrates an ability to meet deadlines.
- Must maintain a safe and organized workspace.
- Assist with facility inspections and make recommendations to
ensure compliance with health and safety standards.
- Performs all other duties as required or assigned. Work
Environment This position may have a moderate to extensive stress
level associated with dealing with crowds of public visitors. Must
be able to work under pressure for extended periods of time. The
environment is mainly indoors, however position may be required to
work outdoors and exposed to the elements (heat, rain, etc.). The
work involves moderate risks or discomforts which require special
safety precautions, e.g. working around moving parts, machines,
fumes, irritant chemicals. May be required to use protective
clothing, or gear such as masks, googles, gloves, hard hats, or
shields. Physical DemandsPosition requires lifting, climbing,
carrying, bending, stooping, squatting, and kneeling for extended
periods of time. Extensive walking and or standing. Ability to lift
up to 50-pound items with or without assistance, while maintaining
good balance. Must be flexible enough to reach above shoulder level
and be able to push and pull for extended periods of time. Position
Type/Expected Hours of Work This is a full-time position; hours of
work must be flexible and varied to meet the demands of the events
of the facility. Must be able to work extended and/or irregular
hours including day, nights, weekends, and holidays, as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience as a Facility
Maintenance Repair Technician or a similar position
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. Trade or technical school
training in related discipline preferred.
- HVAC or similar certifications preferred.
- Valid State of Alabama Driver License. Additional Eligibility
- Knowledgeable of the practices, methods, tools, materials, and
equipment used in maintenance and repairs.
- Must be able to read and interpret drawings, specifications,
operational manuals, and equipment service manuals.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards of building trades and of
necessary safety precautions.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions in
- Ability to demonstrate critical thinking, time management,
decision making/problem solving skills.
- Anticipates problems and takes action to prevent or correct
- Ability to be supervised/unsupervised and work cooperatively
with co-workers and provide good internal and external customer
- Ability to use and care for general maintenance tools and
- Basic computer skills preferred. PI202143298
Keywords: Birmingham Jefferson Co, Birmingham , Facility Maintenance Technician, Professions , Birmingham, Alabama
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!